There are many ways to improve your Child’s academics but in this Blogpost, I will be looking at 5 ways to improve your Child’s academic performance. As I sat in a session with a parent some weeks back; a parent said that her Son was not smart. Why would you say that? In response to me, “His result says it all, the school cannot be lying ma; this boy plays too much and he is not as smart like his siblings “.
Before you say “Ah why?” hold on, you might also be guilty. Negative labeling is a big worry in the educational system today but even beyond that is also what we refer to as “positive labeling or praise”. Unfortunately, the two sides of this coin will do the same harm to a child. I shared this at our Tuesday class this week (you can replay here).
Research shows that constantly telling your child he’s a smart child could be just as bad. For many students, it creates a fixed identity they feel compelled to protect, even at a high cost which can have disastrous consequences.
What this does is that it instill a fixed mindset in your child instead of a growth mindset.
Growth mindset says “I can learn to do anything I want”
while fixed mindset says “I am either good at this or I am not”.
Growth mindset says “my effort determine my ability”
While fixed mindset says “My potential is predetermined; that’s who I am “.
A child’s academic results are not an indication of the child’s cognitive abilities; but
A reflection of how that child has been taught
How a Child Learns
The study habits he has developed over time
how much effort the child has put in.
The most important thing any child can learn is that learning is a skill, the same way they learn to walk, talk, sing, crawl that’s the same way they need to learn how to learn. and that is why we all do not learn the same way.
HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR CHILD’S ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE
1. TEACH YOUR KIDS TO EMBRACE STRUGGLE: There is honor in struggle, constantly saving your children from stressful situations is doing them a disservice. In neuroscience, the brain can rewire and upgrade itself. So whenever you want to gain competence or consolidate new information the brain will begin to struggle. That struggle simply means that the brain is beginn9ng to step up to the new task. This struggle helps them learn by the neurons stringing together to consolidate information. This is a process called MYELINATION.
In essence, allow your children to struggle to learn the Maths or science that they need to learn. When they do the brain is stepping up in reasoning, logic, concentration, memory.
According to Benjamin Hardy, the author of “Willpower doesn’t Work”, many of us misunderstand confidence. People don’t do well because they are confident; in fact, confidence is a by-product or a direct reflection of previous successful actions. The previous successful actions could be anything “Negative, positive, failure, etc.
2. STOP LABELING YOUR CHILD, COMMEND THE EFFORT: You need to focus on the effort that the child is putting in. You must stop labeling Children but focus on the amount of effort they put into the learning process.
3. GET THEM TO DO THEIR OWN RESEARCH ABOUT LEARNING
When Children understand learning, they understand their learning styles, how they learn and this will trigger something in them. Remember I mentioned earlier that learning is a skill.
4. HELP THEM BUILD FOCUS AND IMPROVE MEMORY: You must build your Child’s focus and improve memory through brain-building activities. No matter how smart your child is and they don’t build focus, don’t understand that learning is a skill they will fail at it. One of the ways you can build skills is to get them to read more than watch the screen. Keep improving the process as they go. Cognitive exercises help in building study skills.
5. HELP THEM CREATE A STRUCTURE AND STICK TO IT
6. TEACH THE STUDY HABITS
In summary, remember that A child’s academic results are not an indication of the child’s cognitive abilities; but a reflection of how that child has been taught, How a Child Learns, The study habits he has developed over time, and How much effort the child has put in.
THE BACK TO SCHOOL MASTERCLASS CONTINUES TODAY
To join the BACK TO SCHOOL MASTER CLASS,
Pay #5,000 ($13) instead of #20,000 ( $26) to 0509494057 (GT Bank). The Intentional Parent Academy and send proof of payment through WhatsApp chat to 08129687040.
*ONLY VALID FOR 24hours*
You can register online here: https://selar.co/B2Smasterclass